THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: 18 April 2023: The state-run Kerala Feeds Limited (KFL) posted impressive results in 2022-23 with its total sales turnover going up to INR 621 crore from INR 577 crore the previous year, reflecting high acceptability of its products in the market.
A State Public Sector Undertaking, KFL played a vital role in the growth of the animal husbandry sector in Kerala during the period by ensuring adequate supply of high quality cattle, poultry and rabbit feeds at affordable prices to farmers.
Its products like Kerala Feeds Midukki, Kerala Feeds Elite, Dairy Rich Plus, Karamine Mineral Mixture and Milk Booster were well accepted in the market.
The KFL products strictly adhere to the quality parameters set by Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS). At a time when low quality but exorbitantly priced feed from other states are pumped into the market, KFL’s market interventions kept the state’s cattle herd and other livestock in good health insulating them from the ill-effects of the poor quality products.
Even as the price of raw material kept soaring, KFL made available to farmers high quality cattle feed at subsidised rates. The company passed on benefits worth INR 42 crore by way of subsidies during the year.
Significantly, 80 per cent of the company’s revenue was netted through sale of its products in the open market and the remaining 20 per cent from Animal Husbandry and Local Self Government departments.
KFL is well prepared to make available sufficient quantity of high quality cattle feed to meet the requirements of all departments of Government of Kerala, KFL Chairman K Sreekumar said.
The unique selling proposition of KFL, safe milk and healthy cow were totally accepted by the dairy farmers of Kerala. This will definitely improve the milk productivity of animals and thereby reducing cost of dairy farming in Kerala, said KFL managing director Dr B Sreekumar.
Increasing the milk productivity and reducing the farming cost will benefit the young entrepreneurs of Kerala , he added.
For 2023-24, KFL has drawn up a project to be implemented with the financial support of the government to procure raw materials from other states at low prices and turn them into cattle feed to be routed to farmers at affordable prices, Dr Sreekumar said.
Also, KFL has launched an initiative to take up maize cultivation to overcome the paucity of the staple raw material for production of cattle feed, starting with an area of 25 acres.
As part of the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) activities of Kerala Feeds Ltd, 15,000 menstrual cups (M-Cups) were distributed to school children of 13-17 age group in 10 assembly constituencies in the State as a pilot project.
As part of strengthening the marketing initiatives, the best farmer and dealer in the State will be honoured by Minister for Animal Husbandry and Dairy Development Mrs J Chinchurani at a function to be held on May 30. The best farmer will be recognised by cine actor Jayaram, who is the Brand Ambassador of KFL.
As part of cost cutting measures, solar power plant will be installed at KFL’s plant at Kallettumkara in Thrissur District during this financial year, he added.