The First Advance Estimates of production of major Kharif crops for 2019-20 have been released by the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare
NEW DELHI, 25 September 2019: The First Advance Estimates of production of major Kharif crops for 2019-20 have been released by the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare today.
The assessment of production of different crops is based on the feedback received from States and validated with information available from other sources. The estimated production of various crops as per the First Advance Estimates for 2019-20 vis-à-vis the comparative estimates for the years 2005-06 onwards is enclosed.
2. As per First Advance Estimates, the estimated production of major crops during Kharif 2019-20 is as under:
Foodgrains – 140.57 million tonnes.
Rice – 100.35 million tonnes.
Nutri / Coarse Cereals – 32.00 million tonnes.
Maize – 19.89 million tonnes.
Pulses – 8.23 million tonnes.
Tur – 3.54 million tonnes.
Oilseeds – 22.39 million tonnes.
Soyabean – 13.50 million tonnes
Groundnut – 6.31 million tonnes
Cotton – 32.27 million bales (of 170 kg each)
Jute & Mesta - 9.96 million bales (of 180 kg each)
Sugarcane – 377.77 million tonnes
3. The cumulative rainfall during this year’s southwest monsoon season upto mid-September has been 4% higher than Long Period Average (LPA). The production of most of the crops for the agricultural year 2019-20 has been estimated higher than their normal production. However, these estimates would undergo revision based on further feedback from the states.
4. As per First Advance Estimates for 2019-20 (Kharif Only), total foodgrain production in the country is estimated at 140.57million tonnes.The production during 2019-20is higher by 8.44million tonnes than theaverage foodgrain production of previous five years’ (2013-14 to 2017-18).
5. Total production of kharif rice during 2019-20 is estimated at 100.35million tonnes.It is higher by 6.80million tonnes than the five years’ average production of 93.55million tonnes.
6. Production of kharif nutri / coarse cerealsis estimated at 32.00million tonnes.It is higherby 1.01million tonnes than the production of 30.99 million tonnes achieved during 2018-19.
7. Total kharif pulses production during 2019-20 is estimated at 8.23 million tonnes. It is higherby 1.00 million tones than the five years’ average production of 7.23 million tonnes.
8. Total kharif oilseeds production in the country during 2019-20 is estimated at 22.39 million tonnes which is higherby 1.11 million tonnesthan the production of 21.28 million tonnes during 2018-19.The production of oilseeds during 2019-20 is also higher by 2.17 million tonnes than the average oilseeds production.
9. Total production of sugarcane in the country during 2019-20 is estimated at 377.77 million tonnes.The production of sugarcane during 2019-20is higher by 27.99 million tonnes than the average sugarcane production of 349.78 million tonnes.
Production of cotton estimated at 32.27 million bales (of 170 kg each) is higher by 3.56 million bales than the production of 28.71 million bales during 2018-19. Production of jute & mesta estimated at 9.96 million bales (of 180 kg each) is higher than the production during 2018-19.